Friday, May 20, 2011

Final Blog Entry

 
1.       There are two ways we look at race, sociological and biological. The sociological view on race is how a group of people in our society associate with others. It’s the study of human behavior. For example if you are darker skinned you may be looked upon as African American or Mexican, depending on your skin tone. The biological view is more than just the physical features of a person, but it’s also the social side is the way of life and behavior of a race and or races. Biological is always scientific while social is usually portrayed as psychological but can also be sociology. One article we read in class was about how American Americans were biologically superior athletes. I learned, based on scientific information that East Africans are better long distance running. It was not based on their looks; it was based on their environment, body type, workout, diet, etc. By reading a couple articles on this topic I realized that some different groups of people are good at certain sport, not because of the way they look but based on their beliefs, health and skill.

This is a picture of a color chart, used to define your skin color. I believe the IAT test does not define your race just because it only judges the color of your skin. Someone may look American Indian when they’re really Asian, depending on their traits. This chart really doesn’t define race.
2.    Looking back at the beginning of the semester and comparing it to now, I learned and know a lot more about our society. I analyze things and people differently now. For example the way people talk or act in certain situations. Learning about the different social classes was my favorite. It was very interesting to see what others had verses others. Watching that movie in class about social class and seeing the lowest social class really opened my eyes. Growing up in Barrington you never see much of that and it made me realize I have it very lucky that I’m able to go to college or even own a car. I also liked seeing how much our society changed in the sense of the school dress code and technology. I liked all of the topics we went over and will keep using the knowledge I learned in this class in my everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment